Tauranga is New Zealand’s fastest growing and fifth largest city. Managing this growth makes for a challenging and dynamic work environment. Tauranga City Council is focused on the City’s future and responding to the changing needs of the community. We want to work with our community to successfully plan for and understand their needs and expectations.
Tauranga City Council has a vision of minimising the amount of waste to landfill from the City. The Sustainability and Waste Team are currently looking to recruit a Waste Communications and Project Advisor working 32 hours a week. This is an exciting opportunity for you to support the delivery of behaviour change and community education actions in the Waste Management and Minimisation Plan (WMMP).
Reporting to the Team Leader of Waste Behaviour Change Programmes, you will be responsible for communicating the WMMP projects and initiatives to the wider community, including existing services and the rollout of the new kerbside collection service. You will help develop resources and implement activities and programs to ensure the community use new and existing services effectively and to encourage change to minimise waste and maximise recovery and recycling, as well as providing support to staff about behaviour change tactics and activities for waste programmes.
To be successful in this role, you will have:
- A tertiary qualification in communications, public relations, environmental management or related fields.
- A minimum of 5 years’ relevant experience in behaviour change and community education.
- Proven experience working on community engagement projects.
- Experience working effectively with stakeholders in the waste sector.
- Excellent communication and organisational skills with the ability to prioritise multiple projects seamlessly.
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Effective interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Strong intermediate skills including use of all Microsoft packages.
- Experience working with social media and knowledge of local government is a strong advantage.