Vacancy: Innovative Waste Kaikōura Director(s)
Applicants do not need to be based in Kaikoura but do need to be available to attend meetings.
Founded in the late 1990’s Innovative Waste Kaikoura is a small, dynamic organisation that plays a critical role in Kaikoura’s community, service infrastructure and natural environment. Committed to a future where waste is sustainably managed and innovatively diverted from landfill, the team need new guiding hands to shape the strategy, operations and management of this unique facility.
Innovative Waste Kaikoura is a Council Controlled Organisation that provides waste management and three waters services for Kaikōura District Council. The Kaikōura Enhancement Trust are seeking people with a passion for waste management to govern;
- waste minimisation and management through provision of recycling services, resource recovery and landfill management
- Environmental rehabilitation preservation and development through the Trees for Travellers program
- Maintaining water and waste water infrastructure
- Maintaining public toilet, amenities and some Parks and Reserves in Kaikoura
The ideal applicant(s) will have:
- A sound understanding of governance, based on previous experience as a director
- Good general business and planning skills
- Strategic thinking and conceptual ability
- Numeracy and logical thinking ability
- Objectivity and independence of mind
- The desire to work as part of a team and relate well to fellow directors and senior management
The board of directors is responsible for duties including:
- Meeting regularly to monitor and manage IWK’s governance and performance
- Ensuring that appropriate reporting systems are in place and maintained to provide adequate and timely information to the Board
- Approving the annual business plan, budget and capital expenditure, in accordance with IWK policy
- Ensuring that the Board has a formal schedule of matters and authorities referred to it for decision to ensure that the direction and management of IWK is in the hands of the Board
- Ensuring that a clearly accepted division of responsibilities (governance versus operational) exists between the Board and the General Manager to provide a balance of power and authority so that no one individual has unfettered powers of decision
- Encouraging fresh perspectives and views on the Board by involving new directors and ensuring that their views are given proper consideration and weight
- Presenting to Council balanced and understandable assessments/reports, as required, on the performance and position of IWK.
Remuneration, insurance and meetings:
IWK directors are unpaid. The Council supports the payments by IWK of directors’ liability insurance and the indemnification of directors.
Each year there is a minimum of six scheduled meetings of the Board. The Board also meets as required between the scheduled meetings.
Applicants who have a majority of the skills required, or a selection of the skills and experience in combination with other relevant experience will be considered.
To apply, please email your governance CV and a covering letter to email@example.com or post to PO Box 6, Kaikoura 7340