Passionate about waste minimisation, contract management and great customer service? New Plymouth DC are on the lookout for a motivated individual to assist with the continued development of the waste management and minimisation services in the New Plymouth District, working towards our Zero Waste goal and key actions in our Waste Management and Minimisation Plan.
You will manage our kerbside collection and transfer stations contract to ensure the Council is able to provide a great service to our community.
Ideally you will have experience in contract or project management and proven ability to develop and manage positive relationships with contractors. While not essential, a working knowledge of kerbside collection and / or transfer station services, and waste separation and disposal would be an advantage. An innovative approach to improving services is also sought particularly in the application to the management of recycling contamination. As part of this role you will ensure waste data is effectively managed and analysed to inform future service improvements.
This role is also responsible for overseeing customer complaints, health, safety and environmental incident reports related to the services. A focus on great customer service and an ability to deal with difficult customers would be an advantage.
A tertiary qualification in relevant discipline e.g. project management, environmental science or engineering is required as well as a full and clean Drivers licence.
New Plymouth District Council plays a key role in supporting community well-being, the economy, the environment and the overall quality of life in the New Plymouth District. Our Council vision is to build a lifestyle capital, and being part of our team means you will help make our district a better place to live and to work. At New Plymouth District Council, we embrace diversity and have a culture that is built on trust and respect. We offer flexible working (where available) and you get to work with a team of dedicated experts who share a passion for making a difference.
We aim to create and sustain a truly rewarding workplace environment for our staff. You can expect to start in this role between $73,170 – $79,673. We have put together an integrated Total Rewards Framework that spans Wellbeing, Development, Benefits, Culture and Recognition. The NPDC Total Rewards Framework provides a diverse range of opportunities and benefits for our staff
Applications close on Monday 3 February.
POSITION: Solid Waste Contracts Officer
JOB LEVEL: Technical Specialist
REPORTS TO: Manager Resource Recovery
GROUP: District Services
To take responsibility for the Council’s recycling and rubbish collection, and rural transfer station services, to ensure the Waste Management and Minimisation Plan is effectively implemented.
- Integrated – Council staff, Customer Support Team, Wastewater Treatment Plant Coordinator, Laboratory Coordinator.
- External – Consultants, Contractors, Industry, Taranaki Regional Council, and the general public.
- Actively ensure that legislative requirements and Council policies and procedures are fulfilled, particularly in relation to all key relevant legislation.
- Manage and improve kerbside recycling and rubbish collection and rural transfer station services, including the management of recycling contamination.
- Oversee customer requests to ensure a customer focused service is provided to the community.
- Ensure effective contractor management processes and relationships are maintained with key contractors.
- Implement the Waste Management and Minimisation Bylaw and closed landfill monitoring.
- Support the Resource Recovery team with project work and provide back up to the Resource Recovery Contracts Engineer.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS:
- Developed annually and form part of performance and team plans
- Works collaboratively with others to enhance and/or develop team performance.
- Takes responsibility and accountability for own actions and day to day decision making.
- Effective performance and delivery within a political environment.
- Maintains cultural awareness and keeps up to date with issues affecting the community.
- Sets high standards of performance for self.
- Tertiary qualification in an appropriate discipline e.g. Civil Engineering, Environmental Science.
- Knowledge and experience in contract management.
- Experience in waste management and minimisation or a related field is required.
- Experience in data analysis and management including working knowledge of Microsoft Excel would be an advantage.
Mana Tangata: Respecting Each Other
Oranga Tangata: Achieving Wellness
Kotahitanga: Working Together
Hapaitanga: Making a Difference