The proposed Natural and Built Environments Act is the main replacement for the Resource Management Act (1991). It’s all about enabling development within environmental limits.
How would it do this? By providing…
- A framework for land use and environmental regulation
- A focus on achieving positive outcomes
- Mandatory national direction through a system of limits, outcomes and targets in the National Planning Framework
- One single plan for each region prepared in partnership by local government and Maori
- A more streamlined process for council plan-making and a more efficient resource consent process