The Operators’ Handbook is a transport section condensed from the Liquid and Hazardous Wastes Code of Practice.
The Waste Operators Handbook is a subset of the Liquid and Hazardous Wastes Code of Practice. It is intended to be used as a ready reference in the transport vehicle. It should be used in an addition to the Operators’ Handbook for the Transport of Dangerous Goods by Road (DG Handbook).
The DG Handbook addresses the issues of general transport safety, documentation, placarding and segregation.
The Handbook provides additional information on:
- the integration of liquid and hazardous waste into NZS 5433:2007 Transport of Dangerous Goods on Land;
- driver and vehicle preparation;
- waste collection procedures;
- minimisation of risks;
- mixing of wastes;
- flammable wastes;
- emergency response; and
- operating procedures as an alternative to in-house procedures.
The Handbook shall be used in conjunction with the following:
- NZS 5433:2007 Transport of Dangerous Goods on Land.
- The Operators’ Handbook for the Transport of Dangerous Goods by Road.
- The Ministry for the Environment (MfE) New Zealand Waste List.
In the vehicle and at the treatment site this additional handbook shall be required:
- SAA/SNZ HB76:2010 Dangerous Goods – Initial Emergency Response Guide (Standards New Zealand); or an equivalent publication.
The layout of the Handbook follows the waste transfer from job enquiry to the discharge at the treatment facility or final disposal site.